The National Domestic Workers Alliance (NDWA) organizes domestic workers in the United States for respect, recognition and labor standards. We work to guarantee labor protections for domestic workers by winning legislation at the state level, pushing for regulatory changes at the national level, through the International Labor Organization at the global level, and elevating domestic workers as key leaders in building a powerful movement for social and global justice. The Alliance formed in 2007 at the US Social Forum and currently represents 60+ affiliates across the country.
NDWA recognizes the role that administration and organizational infrastructure building plays in supporting a healthy organizational ecology, and a well-run human resources department is imperative for achieving those efforts. We are looking for a temporary, part time Human Resources Generalist to serve as the primary HR contact during our Senior HR Director’s 2.5 month leave. The HR Generalist will work between 5 - 20 hours per week depending on needs that arise. The HR Generalist will train under the Senior HR Director in the weeks before her leave, and update the Director during the week after her leave. During the leave, the HR Generalist will provide remote human resources support to the staff of NDWA and our affiliated LLC, NDWA Labs. This position will support a staff of 80-90, and will primarily be responsible for ensuring the maintenance and basic functioning of our HR processes, policies, programs and systems.
- Ensure basic functioning of the HR department while the HR Director is on leave
- Ensure timely submission of timesheets from hourly and non-exempt employees, and manually submit payroll for hourly and non-exempt employees every other week
- Coordinate and execute tasks in the areas of hiring, onboarding, new employee orientation, employee maintenance, and termination/exit processes
- With guidance from senior leadership, apply personnel policies and procedures consistently across staff
- Administer benefits programs and manage the relationship with our HR vendors and benefits providers, including medical, dental and vision insurance plans, FSA & HRA plans, other supplemental benefits, and PTO tracking
- Serve as a staff liaison and resource on HR-related questions and concerns, including training new staff on benefits and answering questions about benefits and personnel policies
- Oversee compliance with compensation guidelines and related regulatory requirements (FLSA, Employee v. Consultant, etc.)
- Assist in maintaining confidential personnel files and HR data, following security and privacy procedures at all times, including processing of employee changes and paperwork
- Meet regularly with the Operations Team, Deputy Director & NDWA Labs Director to update them on progress and ask questions as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- 2+ years of experience in Human Resources management
- Excellent attention to detail and superb organizational skills
- Self motivated and a proven ability to work both independently and in partnership with different teams and staff members
- Excellent relational skills: someone who is friendly, diplomatic, and patient
- Experience in managing multiple projects and tasks and working in a fast paced environment
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively
- Ability to keep sensitive matters confidential
- Skilled proficiency with technology and computer operations and programs, specifically:
- Macbooks and Apple products
- HR systems and programs, such as Justworks (or another PEO), BambooHR, and ADP a plus
- Experience with training a plus
- Applicant will work remotely, but needs to be available during east coast business hours and authorized to work in the U.S.
- Agreement and alignment with NDWA’s vision and values
- Understanding of issues facing low-wage workers, immigrant communities, and other communities of color
Women, People of Color, People with Disabilities and LGBTQ people strongly urged to apply. Applications will only be accepted electronically. Please submit a cover letter, resume, and professional writing sample (emails and memos ok) here. This position will remain open until filled.